Saturday, November 10, 2007

Web server being scanned

Hrmm...I've found that my web server is being slowly scanned. This scan looks to be attempting to do a 'low and slow' scan, attempting to circumvent any monitoring thresholds. In fact, I noticed the scans a few days ago and just added the IP to my firewall block list.

Here's what I've seen so far:

DShield
myNetWatchman
Web Sniffer Proxy

Both of those links just show a few of my firewall entries. I give feeds of my logs to several organizations to assist in monitoring internet-wide attacks and trending.

My Snort logs show a different story (IDS logs always do, when comparing to firewall logs). What I'm seeing are SNMP-type scans, which are probably NMAP scans. What's weird is that the scans originate from IP 67.15.135.144:80. Visiting that page with http://web-sniffer.net, I see an unconfigured/new server account:

         class="welcomeText">Server Default page
class="descriptionText">
       If you see this page it means:

       1. hosting for this domain is not configured

       or

       2. there's no such domain registered in Plesk
     


The above is usually an indicator of badness...it appears that someone may have purposely stood up this account to use maliciously. All they need is a running web server, and the fact that I'm seeing what I am is an indication that the web server is up and running (I also got an HTTP status code of '200').

I'll keep monitoring this activity, although the activity is fully blocked (the whole network range is blocked).

No comments: