Monday, July 13, 2009

Rails, Ruby, Gems...PITA

I spent the evening trying to get Snorby installed.

I've sporadically messed with Ruby on Rails before, actually getting it installed and playing a bit with it before moving on to other things.

Now, I've been hindered by an out-of-date Rails install. I tried to install Snorby and every step I have to take two steps backward. I ended up reinstalling to the latest version that FreeBSD (yeah, doing this on a BSD install, as it seems easier to install this way), but that version wasn't high enough.

Now, I'm installing the latest by source. I'm as far as I've ever been tonight, which is good because I'm running out of time. I'm installing the Gems at the moment and the install is agonizingly slow (doing this on a dual proc 450MHz machine). It appears most of this are documentation installs. :/

Maybe I can get this done and still be able to get a bit of sleep before I've to get up for work.

So far, see below .txt file...looks good so far:

http://wigglit.ath.cx/ruby.txt

AAARGH!!

[root@delly /usr/local/www/data/Snorby]# rake snorby:setup
(in /usr/local/www/data/Snorby)
Missing these required gems:
javan-whenever

You're running:
ruby 1.8.5 at /usr/local/bin/ruby18
rubygems 1.3.1 at /root/.gem/ruby/1.8, /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8

Run `rake gems:install` to install the missing gems.
Almost there but I'm out of time...will continue tomorrow.

2 comments:

Mephux said...

Let me know how the rest goes and/or if there are other issues.

Unknown said...

ive had massive issues with this too on Fedora13 - i found the gems install -v= option very useful as i had big version problems